Green Bean Casserole is a holiday staple, but you typically see it mixed with creamed canned soups. This recipe is from scratch, and adds a delicious crunchy topping that you’ll love! We’ve included this terrific recipe in December’s Family Favorites Menu Plan.
Crunchy Onion Bites Ingredients
- 1/3 White Onion (thinly sliced & chopped)
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp. Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 tsp. Salt
Green Bean Casserole Ingredients
- 1 pkg. (16 oz.) Frozen Green Beans (thaw beforehand)
- 8 oz. Crimini Mushrooms
- 1/3 White Onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 large Garlic Clove (chopped)
- 2 tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup organic Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Half & Half
- 3 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- ¼ tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. Salt
1. Preheat oven at 475 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 pan with no-stick spray.
2. Crunchy Onion Bites: Combine onion, flour, panko bread crumbs, salt, and eggs in small mixing bowl. Stir well. Spread onto aluminum foil-covered baking sheet (spray with nonstick cooking spray). Bake for approximately 20 minutes (turn halfway through). Remove and set aside.
3. Add butter to stovetop pan on medium heat. Sauté onion and mushrooms for approximately 10 minutes (or until onion is translucent). Add garlic at the 6-minute mark.
4. Add green beans to stovetop pan. Sauté for another 8 minutes.
5. Add flour, nutmeg, paprika, and salt to pan. Stir. Add vegetable broth. Stir.
Turn heat to low and add half & half. Stir well. Continue to stir and heat on low for approximately 5 to 8 minutes.
6. Pour mixture into casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
7. Smash the crunchy onion bites into small pieces. Add atop the green bean casserole dish at the 20-minute mark.
Remove and serve!